Better Moms make a better world!

May 21, 2012

Learning to Walk

I have a seven month old who would desperately like to walk.  She will tightly grasp my fingers while I lead her around the kitchen table and into the living room.  The other day she decided she did not need my help.  She kept letting go of my hands and would even try to forcibly push my assistance away.  I had to laugh because I knew she would only fall (likely flat on her face too) without my help.  I kept giving her some support as she wobbled around and caught her as she was falling, until she finally realized that she still needed to hold on to me to be able to walk.

I realized that this is sometimes how I am with God.  I feel like I can confidently walk when I am holding on to him.  In my pride, I believe that I can get along fine without his help, and I let go and push away.  All the while, God is able to see how helpless I am without his support.  He allows me to stumble (though providing assistance to assure that I will not fall and hurt myself too badly) until I finally realize that I am not able to walk without him.  I again grasp him firmly, feeling strong and sure. With God's help, I am able to walk confidently wherever he leads me.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. ~ Isaiah 40:30-31

No comments: