Better Moms make a better world!

October 1, 2009

It Doesn't Have To Be Rocket Science

With the weather changing, I recently found myself cleaning out the closets and preparing for the next season. Here are a few of my clothing and closet tips.

1. When you're packing up the previous season's clothes, box and label according to size, gender and season (just warm vs. cold, not all four seasons). This makes finding and unpacking easier when it's time for a younger sibling to wear a certain size and season.

2. When unpacking the current season’s clothes, I try to put it away according to outfits. This makes more noticeable when clothes aren’t getting worn or don't match anything else. This can also assist with giving little ones the freedom of picking their own clothes (or rather, outfit) while keeping control of making sure they match.

3. In our house we have "shoe boxes” with names on them. In this medium size box, each child stores all of their shoes. I love being able to say "put your shoes in your box" or "go get a pair of shoes from your box" and it cuts down on the front door clutter.

4. Keep separate bins or tupperware containers for socks, underwear, tights, etc.. It makes putting away and finding items easier. PJs get thrown loosely into a drawer. Why do they need to be wrinkle free?

5. Toss mismatched hangers: Their irregular shapes take up more space, and the wire ones that dry cleaners use are hard on your clothes.

These suggestions have helped my family a ton, however I am no pro. We are always looking for new ideas. Do you have a great clothes, laundry or season sorting tip?

Post your ideas by clicking "comment"!

2 comments:

I'm Tara. said...

Between having my house on the market twice and now surviving a recent move/unpacking process, I can second everything you just wrote. The only things I can think of to add that work around here are:

*a stair basket - it's one of those baskets made to sit on the staircase. We use it for shoes and anything that needs to be taken upstairs. It also helps with the front door clutter.

*An actual piece of furniture to serve this purpose is on my list of things to get for this house, but even if it's just a place in your house, having a "home" for things for the next day is so helpful, especially with school-aged kids. A hook for backpacks, coats, shoes, etc. Ideally by the door, but all in one place to reduce the whole running around saying "go get your shoes, your coat, etc." I'm planning to get a sort of hall tree thing, but it was the kids' little table before we moved. Right now it's the living room sofa. :)

*When storing clothes, try to do so in a clear plastic bin and label them not just on top, but on all sides with size/season. That way, no matter where it is, you can tell what's in it and you can also see better to dig for that ONE outfit you might be needing.

*I have a 3 drawer rubbermaid drawer thing in my laundry room. I have pants hangers, big plastic hangers, and little plastic hangers. It's great for hanging up things that don't go in the dryer, and then when they're dry, they're already hung up. I just bring empty hangers out of closets back to the laundry with me with a load for the washer.

Anonymous said...

Clear containers are a great idea, Tara. I'm going to buy some today!!! I'm always digging through boxes because I know that outfit is in there.... somewhere.