Better Moms make a better world!

October 1, 2009

Fireworks

My two older girls saw their first fireworks show last week. We weren't quite sure how Ada, my two year old, was going to respond to the new experience so I watched very closely as the show began.

At the first bang, her little heart began to race, her eyes became as big as saucers and she held tightly to my arms. While some other children needed to leave, she continued to watch with a little fear, but in undistracted wonder.

I imagine that Moses must have felt much the same way before God's presence at the burning bush (Exodus 3) or Noah when wild animals began showing up two by two. (Genesis 7). Can you even begin to imagine the mixture of wonder, awe and fear?

God is not just our buddy and loving father, He is also mighty, powerful, awesome and just. But let's face it, the thought of a God who sent plagues to Egypt, or who destroyed the whole world in a flood is a little scary. However, it is that same God who parted the Red Sea to set His people free from slavery and who architected an ark to preserve one faithful family and the creations of His hands. It is in this perfect mixture of beauty and fear, love and justice that we meet our God.

I think that sometimes, especially in America, it becomes easy to forgot who it is we serve. Try to approach God with the freshness of seeing fireworks for the first time: Excited, awe-struck, amazed, and impressed to humility in the presence of such power, wonder and fear!


I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.
He will judge the world in righteousness;
he will govern the peoples with justice.
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
- Psalm 9:1, 8-10

1 comment:

I'm Tara. said...

Excellent reminder...it's easy to take all that He truly is for granted!

I love the blog - awesome work, Christa!